Thursday, May 3, 2012

College

At tennis, one the kids - a typically loud, cocky, doesn't listen to anyone but is a very talented kid - came up to me because he wanted to ask me a question. This kid and I barely spoke to each other at all during last year's season, and this year we have talked here and there but in no way would I see myself as someone he would approach with a question.

For the next half hour we had a full-on discussion on his college plans for next year and how picked one school, sent in his deposit, but now is having second thoughts. We talked about what he liked about his two top schools, what he hated about them, what he thinks, what I thought (but I made sure not to force my opinion on him - it was more important for him to figure this out, I was just going to help him get there), and so on.

At the end of it, he decided to switch schools, had the biggest smile on his face, and now knows that he can come to me if he has an issue.

Made me feel good as a coach

No comments:

Post a Comment