Monday, October 4, 2010

Battle Hymn of the Republic

Sorry about the lack of updating.

Last week we started the Civil War ad we went through some of the battles and logistics. It was pretty dry. (I personally think the Civil War is wicked boring). So I decided to punch up the week with a Civil War song lesson.

I had all the students clear their desks so they had nothing in front of them. Then I played the "Battle Hymn of the Republic" and asked to students to listen for Civil War or Military imagery. Next we listened to the song again and this time I gave the students the lyrics. I asked them to circle or at least mark any words or phrases that contained that imagery they were looking for.

They sort of got into it, but not so much (wasn't expecting much) so I went one step further. I had them create their own groups in the classroom instead of me assigning groups. And as a group they had to create their own Civil War song in whatever style they wanted. There were some guidelines, but really they had artistic license.

They all really got into the activity. Most groups did raps, but they were surprisingly good. It made my day (week almost)

Anyway, that pretty much wraps up my week.

No comments:

Post a Comment