Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Nope, don't got one of those

Today was wicked boring. I even told the kids that up front. I said, "all we're doing today is taking notes. They are going to be boring notes, and there are going to be a lot of them. I'm trying my best to make this interesting, but we have to get through this because it is important ..." That is one of the many things that I still remember from student teaching. My cooperating teacher would always say, "they're going to be able to see right through you, so just be up front with them. If it'll be boring, just tell them. They'll respect you more for being honest about it."

In any case, we studied the presidency of Ulysses S. Grant and the Compromise of 1877 today. Both things I didn't even cover last year, so I feel like I'm teaching this year's students a whole lot more already. It was boring, but I did try to make it fun with my presentation. Trying to engaging, funny, and interactive. It worked with some of the classes, they're a good group this year. It's gotten to the point where they're talking and taking part in class so that's good. At the beginning of the year they would just sit there stone-faced and not say a word. I'm glad we've moved past that.

Tomorrow they're Twitter Projects are do (similar to the Twitter quiz from two posts ago) hopefully those turn out well. Also, I'm doing a surprise activity that I'm nervous about it because it may work really well, or it may blow up in my face. But I'll write about how it goes tomorrow.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

For my internship for administration right now, I have to complete a series of projects within my school. For my first project I wrote out a twelve page evaluation and analysis of the Dean system my school uses for discipline. For my second project, I'm working with the school's Crisis Management or Emergency Plan. Every classroom has (or should have) an Emergency Binder. It's a simple, red, three-ringed binder that contains all the plans for evacuations, lockdowns, bomb threats, etc.

After school today, I went around to twenty different classrooms to see if they had their Emergency Binder. Out of the twenty, ten had them and ten didn't. I walked into a few rooms and right away I could find them without even asking where they'd be. One room I walked in, I asked the teacher there if he knew where the binder was, he just looked at me and said, "Yeah, I don't think I have one of those, and if I did I have absolutely no clue where it would be." So that's good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My Native American unit starts next week!

Recommendation count: 20-6

No comments:

Post a Comment