Wednesday, February 1, 2012

it really happened

All week, we've been watching "Cinderella Man" in class - a movie about the Great Depression based on a true story.

In class today, one girl turned to me and asked, "is this a real story?" I told her it was and that the movie was based on a true story. Actually, one of the actresses in the movie is the granddaughter of the real Jim Braddock (the main character). She responds, "no but it is true?" I explained it was. "So that just makes it all so much sadder. It's true? That's so sad." I didn't know what to say to her comment, just as her classmate turned to her, "Gen, the Great Depression really happened." She thought for a second then said, "wait, really? Oh, right. Ok then - that's fine."

Glad to see it took a movie based on a true story for my students to realize the Great Depression really happened after we've spent a week learning about it in class before we started the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment