Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Happy New Year!

Since getting back to school (last week) we have finished WWI and the Roaring Twenties. As of today, we just started the Great Depression. Things are going well. Midterms are next week so the kids are freaking out a little. But overall, things are good.

Also today all the kids are freaking out about the possible snow day tomorrow. It's been a little ridiculous, I've been trying to not get my hopes up so I keep adamantly saying we will have school tomorrow (hopefully not).

The semester and quarter are wrapping up and coming to a close. Surprisingly, the class averages have gone down in all of my classes. Maybe I've become a more demanding grader or the kids are not trying as hard. The averages are still good so I'm not too concerned.

What I wanted to share is a few excerpts from one of my students' reflection on the WWI Letters Project, it was hilarious.

"When this project was assigned, I planned on putting little effort into it, thinking it was just another writing assignment that I would not learn from anyway. Yet halfway into the project, that was simply not the case. I realized that that what I got out of this project depended upon how much I put in. So I went all out, I put myself in the shoes of a soldier involved in submarine warfare writing home to a significant other. i discovered so much not only about history, but about myself ...

"This project was an outlet for me. To vent about my day, life, love, hardship, and the everyday struggle. Regardless of whether we're soldiers in war or a bunch of angst-full teens, we all struggle. I cam to the realization that the people we read about are more than words in a history book, but they are actual people, with families, concerns, and fears. They are no different than us, only their situation is ... Much of the time I think we get caught up in the facts and we fail to see that these people were real, like you and I ..."

No comments:

Post a Comment