Tuesday, January 3, 2012

NEW YEAR - NEW SEATS!

All of my classes got brand new assigned seats today - they hated it. It was awesome.

Beyond that, the new year started out smoothly. We covered Harding's "Return to Normalcy" and all that fun stuff that goes along with it. It was a dry lecture, but I was able to joke around with the students and make it a little more interesting.

After school, I had 8 students in my room to see me. First off, 1 student after school to see me never happens, let alone 8. A teacher across the hall actually stopped and starred when she saw so many kids in the room.

-------

On the friday before vacation, a student came into one of my classes that was apparently during his free period. He felt he had the right to sit in the back of the room in the teacher's chair and comment on the class. I politely asked the student to leave the room because it wasn't his class, he brushed me off. I told him to leave, he jokingly replied. Then he made a comment about another teacher in the school and I "yelled" (more so talked sternly) at him to leave and slammed the door behind him.
This morning, I handed a detention slip to his class dean because I felt his actions before break were disrespectful to me, disrespectful to the teacher he commented about, and disrespectful to to the teacher whose desk he was sitting in the back of the room without asking (a teacher whose been at this school for 50+ years).
He met with his dean and she gave him an hour of detention and told him he had to come talk to me about what happened as well. Today, with a minute before the bell rang to start one of my classes, this kid walks into my room (again not during his class period) and said:
Kid: Miss [class dean] told me I had to talk to you
Me: Ok
Kid: Does that work then? Can I leave? Are we good?
Me: Now's not the time, my class is about to start
Kid: Fine (rolls eyes and leaves)
He came to my room later in the day to talk to me. He sat down, and simply said again he needed to talk to me, I said OK. After a brief awkward silence, he said "I'm sorry." And then, I politely and casually asked "for what?" The total conversation lasted no more than two minutes but I feel like I definitely got my point across and that student should never show that amount of disrespect again. Hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment