Thursday, January 5, 2012

Odd

A group of students during study hall, called me over to ask a question about calculus. Most times, I can manage to figure out how to help the kids with what they're working on whether it's history, math, spanish, or science. Other times, when I have no idea I have one of two options that I turn to depending on my mood:

  1. Tell them I have no idea and I can't help them
  2. Make it up and sound convincing
The group asked me what a specific term in their Calculus textbook came from. I felt like making stuff up ... so I did. I explained an elaborate story of an Italian mathematician in the mid 1600s and the hatred of an ex-girlfriend who he wanted to shame for the rest of history. The kids believed me and I walked away.

About 10 minutes later, two of the students came up to me in awe in the fact that I knew the term. I told them I was joking and in actuality I had no clue whatsoever. They then had a look of even more shock and awe on their faces. Apparently they googled the term and my made up fictional story was actually correct (to some degree). 

Pretty awesome, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment