Thursday, January 26, 2012

Scenario

In order to learn about the Great Depression. I created scenarios for the students to get a sort of "in their shoes" type experience. After doing a few different scenario activities in class, I gave them one more to do for homework.

The Scenario:
You live by yourself in an apartment in New York City in 1930. Last month you couldn’t pay the electric bill, so you’ve been struggling to get by without power for the past few weeks. The heating bill is due soon and you only have $2.30 for the bill that costs $10.50. You’re nervous about what will happen if you don’t pay the bill because it’s now the beginning of winter and it’s only going to get colder over the next few weeks/months. What are you going to do in order to pay the bill? You have no family to turn to, no car to leave with, you just got laid off from your job, and you’re running out of options. What is the best and most feasible/realistic solution to your predicament?

The Solution:
  • Let your heat shut off to save money
  • build an illegal firepit in your apartment (solves lighting issue)
  • go to charities for blankets (you'll use them to cover your doors and windows so the smoke doesn't escape)
  • need food money? lonely? - find a dashing young man and ask him to live a life of crime with you robbing banks and mugging apple sellers. You'll also be famous and people will come up with some catching crime team name for you and post it in the paper (or get a dog if the dashing young man rejects you)
Another Solution:
  • First I would think back to the high school that I attended. I would contact the man who had the best way with the ladies. I would have him give me lessons; almost like we were in the movie "Hitch" and I was Kevin James and he was Will Smith. I would have him help me char a rich, beautiful woman, such as Eva Mendez, and she would marry me. We would move into a handsome, heat-filled home, have a myriad of children, and live happily ever after. I don't think there is any other solution more reasonable than this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment