Thursday, September 1, 2011

New Year!

So a new year has begun. I have the same five classes but a whole new group of students. Some students I knew from last year, some students I knew by reputation, and some students I had never seen or met before.

On Tuesday the teachers met and had an in-service day where we did a series of breakout sessions with our administrators. Over the past two days we had had our student orientation days. On Wednesday, the seniors and the freshmen came in for half a day consisting of assemblies and a mini-schedule run through.

This year I only have 9 seniors mixed into four of my classes. So during the mini-schedule, it was kind of awkward. I only had 2 seniors in each class and 3 in one of them. So doing my spiel about expectations and what the class was going to be like, while only 2 students sat in the desks in front of me.

In any case, Wednesday went well. Today went well too. I saw the rest of my students and gave them my expectations. In the first class today I just rambled for the 10 minutes I had, but by the fifth class I spoke to my timing was perfect.

But beyond all of that, there were no funny stories or students making animal noises. However, I have no doubt this will happen at some point. Also, I have given semi-administrative-ish responsibilities including watching the seniors in the cafeteria during the study period with the class deans, and being responsible for kicking the students out of the parking lot at the end of the day so they don’t loiter. FUN!

No comments:

Post a Comment