Saturday, September 24, 2011

students can be very smart & creative too

This week in one of my classes (because they are a day ahead with all the different scheduling issues we've had) we had a fun activity where the students took the knowledge they have and used it in a creative way.

First the students read through the Battle Hymn of the Republic and we talked about the imagery of battle and war and what kind of emotions and everything the song was conveying. Next we listened to the song so they could understand the rhythm and beat of it.

Next the students broke off into groups and got to work on creating their own Civil War songs. I did this activity last year but the kids were not nearly as creative. I was actually really impressed with this class.

So I figured I would share some of their songs:

Sung to the tune of "Party in the U.S.A." by Miley Cyrus

Hopped off my horse at the battlefield,
With my gun and armor in hand.
Welcome to the land of violence, whoa
Am I gonna survive?

Jumped off my horse at my opponent for the first time,
Next I knew saw my life flash before my eyes.
This is all so crazy, everybody seems so angry.
My tummy's turning and I'm feeling kinda homesick,
Too much pressure and I'm nervous.
Then the marching band played their famous song,
And the Star Spangled Banner came on.

So we put our flags up,
They're playing my song,
The South starts running away.
Freeing the slaves like yeah.
Jumping in my trench like yeah.
So I put my gun up,
They're losing this war,
I know I'm gonna be okay.
Yeah! It's a battle of the Civil War.

Sung to the tune of Cee Lo Green's "Forget You"

I see you runnin up North,
With that slave I own,
And I'm like, I'll get you.

We be chasing you with guns,
All the way back home,
And I'm like I'll get you,
And I'll get him too.

We're really so sorry,
Didn't invent the Ferrari,
But that don't mean we won't catch you.

We got cotton,
But you've forgotten,
The way you wage this war ain't fair.

I pity the fool that sides along with you,
(Oh, you're a trench-digger).

Sung to the tune of The Token's "The Lion Sleeps Tonight"

On the railroad, the underground railroad,
the slaves are hiding tonight.
In Fort Sumter, quiet Fort Sumter
the soldiers sleep tonight.

Near the battle, the mighty battle,
the soldiers fight today.
Near the river, the mighty river,
the soldiers save the day.

One of the ones: sung to the tune of Ke$ha's "Tik Tok"

Wake up in the morning feeling like Rob E. Lee,
Grad my glasses, I'm out the door, I heard we lost Orleans.
Before I leave brush my teeth and kiss my son Jack,
'Cause when I leave for the war, I hope I'm coming back.

The North's keepin us on out toes, toes.
Slaves makin all our clothes, clothes.
Lincoln blowin up our railroads.

Bombs droppin',
Killin' our enemies, mies.
Pulling up the the battle scene, scene.
They're trying to let our slaves free.

Just stop.
Don't get caught,
Grant don't blow my friends up.
Tonight, I'm a fight,
Until I see the sunlight.
Tick tock on the clock,
But the slavery won't stop,
Oh, oh, oh-oh.


No comments:

Post a Comment