Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Day 2

Today was my real first day of school, today I actually began teaching. It was great. I met with 4 out of 5 of my classes today. In the first class I did the syllabus and stuff i did yesterday because they didn't meet yesterday. But in my other classes I started actually teaching.

I did a presentation/lecture on the Compromise of 1850. I thought it went really well. They kids were all attentive, for the most part except towards the end of the last period (understandable) but they still paid enough attention. They were asking questions, they were answering my questions. They were laughing at my jokes, or laughing at me for my stupid jokes.

at one point I tried a joke, it didn't work. I apparently made a face, and then one of the student just burst out laughing. I asked what was so funny, because time had passed so I knew she wasn't laughing at my joke (and it was a bad joke, I knew that going in) and she just said, "you're face is priceless right now!" So whatever that meant, i was fine with it. It was after this point that this particular girl started paying more attention and participating in class. So I guess my face did good today.

But as a whole I am really happy with how today went. I am getting most of the names down. I already have 2 full classes and most of the other 3 classes already, so I'm happy about that.

Yesterday while I was doing afternoon cafeteria duty (I sit in the caf from 2:30-5:00 and tell kids not to sit on tables, make out, or run around) a parent came up to me and said, "you, you look like you're a teacher, can you help me?" AWESOME. made my day. that was great.

But now that I am a real full-blown teacher, being a student starts back up today. Fun fun. My grad classes continue today and thursday from 4:30-6:00. I'm super-duper excited for it (sarcasm).

.... until then.

No comments:

Post a Comment