Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Pirate Ship

I tried the "Reservation System" with a different class of mine. The only other class I tried it with. It didn't go the way I wanted, they loved it. The were pumped they got to push their desks so close together. The point was still made, they still understand the reservation system - they just have positive memories of it.

I walked past one of the kids in the hallway yesterday morning:
ZACH: Can we sit like the Great Plains again today?
ME: No sorry, not today?
ZACH: What about the Rocky Mountains?
ME: No Zach.
ZACH: Appalachian Mountains?
ME: No Zach
ZACH: Mississippi?
ME: That's not even a mountain range.
ZACH: We can twist and bend the desks like the river.
ME: No Zach.
I walk into the Main Office, Zach keeps walking down the hall. W hen I leave the office, I see Zach in the hallway walking in the other direction.
ZACH: What about a pyramid?
ME: I was waiting for you to come up with a new one, but no.
ZACH: Pirate Ship?
Me: Ok, I'll give you that one.

In any case, I guess the overall goal of having them remember the reservation system did work. The kids have been sitting with the desks all bunched together for the past three days now. We'll see how long that keeps going.

No comments:

Post a Comment